Saturday, February 16, 2008
It's Time!
Well, it's well below freezing here today, but it is February 16. That means: time to start thinking about tomatoes! After a trip to Obi (hardware/garden store), I have a shoebox-sized greenhouse, soil disks, and seeds. Lilia helped me water the soil and stick the seeds in. I figure they will spend about 4-6 weeks in the mini-greenhouse, then with any luck, it will be warm enough to set them outside in big pots. Our tiny yard faces southeast and is very sheltered, plus we have a patio under a little roof, so I think it should suffice, especially if I cover the plants at night. I may still buy some heirloom tomato seeds, but at the moment I have balcony star cherry tomatoes, roma bush tomatoes, and red bell peppers. I can hardly wait to see how this experiment turns out . . . (which is more than I can say for a lot of what I tried in the lab).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yeah, and at least you don't have to worry about deer eating your plants. Death to Bambi and her relatives!
Dad
Jill (or Uncle J) - Do you have any ideas of vegetables/fruit that I could grow in a shady environment? I'd love to grow something but it would have to grow on my deck because of our friends Bambi.
One idea for you is to put your tomatoes in planters, then put them in a wagon and just bring them into your garage at night.
Many folks around here do that due to the deer.
Almost all veggies need good sunlight except parsley.
U.J.
Here are some links I found for container gardening, including plant selection with respect to sunshine requirements:
http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/containerindoor/container.asp
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/container.html
Thanks! I'll have to checkout the websites later. Each summer I always regret that I'm not growing something!
Post a Comment