Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Getter-Upper

For the last couple of weeks, Lilia has been getting up at night, usually somewhere between 2 and 6 a.m. The last two days she has decided she is done sleeping by 5:30 or so. This morning she got Thorsten up first--I could hear her burbling away at him--and then a bit later I was aroused by a stuffed penguin dancing on my head.

Why does she wake up? This is not so easy to answer. Since her earliest babyhood, Lilia seems to work through any kind of new event, emotional stress (good or bad), growth spurt or other developmental landmarks by waking up at night, often for extended periods. Could the proximal cause this time be delayed effects from our move? The excitement of Kindergarten? A physical growth spurt? The last two days she has also napped at Kindergarten, albeit very briefly, and I suppose that might have something to do with it as well. Yesterday when she got up she was in a terrible mood--today she was a beacon of happiness.

If it's the naps that are messing her up, I guess we will probably start putting her to bed a bit later. I'll ask the Kindergarten people if they can keep track for me if she sleeps, and for how long. Other than that . . . I guess we will just have to grit our teeth, try to get some naps on the weekend, and wait until she is a teenager who wants to sleep till noon.

2 comments:

The Burris Family said...

We had to drop Emma's afternoon nap right when she turned 3. She would nap for a good 2 hours but then we would put her to bed at 7:30 and she would not fall asleep until 9pm or sometimes later. Now she goes to bed between 7:15 and 7:30 and falls asleep within 5 minutes and does not wake up again until 7:30 the next morning. It is awful to give up that nap (esp since it was my only alone time) but I would rather her fall right asleep then listen to her whine for 2 hours in bed!

Gretchen said...

Katrina's new trick is that she kicks her blanket off her bed. So she wakes up, walks all the way into our room, tells us that her blanket fell down. We tell her to put it back on, and most of the time that works, but sometimes she makes us get up and put it on her. I don't know why she can't do it herself, or feels the need to let us know that her blanket has fallen off. The thoughts of a two year old, I'll never understand them.