Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Differences

One of the things I thought would be interesting about having two kids is that you have a chance to figure out what behaviors are general and which are specific to each child. Other people have said too that their children differ in significant ways from birth on.

I think this is true, although as the saying goes, it is early days yet. So far, Johanna seems to be somewhat quieter and calmer than I remember Lilia being. As far as my memory goes, Lilia was also an extraordinarily "awake" baby even from the first few days on. I certainly don't recall that she slept as much as Johanna seems to be sleeping. And Lilia was also bigger and stronger--she had head control from the beginning on, whereas Johanna is more of a noodle-neck. They also seem to have their preferences about how to be carried, rocked, cuddled . . . Lilia loved the pram and would fall asleep within minutes of getting outside, whereas it was not at all a hit with Johanna when we tried it out this morning. Another big difference that I observe is that Johanna, while she certainly knows how to nurse, takes her time about it and is MUCH gentler than Lilia was. (My breasts are naturally thankful for this . . . )

The other variable, of course, is that Thorsten and I are not the same parents that we were the first time around. I am pretty sure that we too are somewhat quieter and calmer. It also makes a difference that we are at home and not in the hospital . . . I think it's easier to deal with a crying baby at 3 a.m. in familiar surroundings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jill, your blog once again gives me hope. Jonas never stops moving. I think he is the male version of Lilia. I love him soooo much, but the kid only takes one 1.5 hour nap each day. He's only 13.5 months old!!!

So thank you for keeping the hope alive!!!