Thursday, June 14, 2007
Pacifier Update
So, we are done with the pacifier. After the hell of the first few days things have gotten better and Lilia doesn't even ask for it anymore. However, it is still taking a lot longer to get her to bed than it used to when she had the "Schnulli" and she rolls and squirms and whispers and whines, especially at bedtime in the evenings. I had hoped that by waiting until after she was 2 we would be done with the whole "need to suck" thing . . . I read somewhere that 90% of children under age 2 suck on something (paci, thumb, fingers, blanket, whatever) and that children weaned from a pacifier after age 2 "rarely" switch over to something else. Har. Rarely doesn't mean never. Lilia now sucks on her fingers when she's tired or bored (which isn't so bad, since it's for minutes, not hours), and chews on her shirt, which I really dislike since it ends up a wet mess. Yesterday she wanted a clean shirt after she got the one she was wearing covered with spit and I told her no . . . I hope maybe she'll decide it's not so nice either and refrain from chewing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congrats on getting rid of the pacifier! It sounds like it is going relatively well...keep being consistent and I'm sure the bedtime routine will get easier.
You could always try the method that Dad used when Chips was chewing on the garage door and douse Lilia's shirt in tabasco sauce. Ha ha...just kidding, of course. :)
Please refer to my seminal research article "Elimination of Annoying Chewing and Sucking Habits in Toddlers and Pets Through the Use of Topical Tobasco Therapy" in the Journal of Absurd
Pediatrics. Published March, 1998.
Professor Dad
Post a Comment