Thursday, June 14, 2007

36 Weeks

We are now past the 36 week point. As of next Wednesday, I will be 37 weeks along, which is technically at term. Not that I want the baby to come next week . . . I am tired of being pregnant but I could really use some more time to get things together, get the house in shape, and (supposedly) write a manuscript on the research I have done over the last year.

As an aside: I am really finally done at work--I was in the last three mornings to clean up my desk, bench and reagents and download the data I will need to work at home. Today I brought in cake for my colleagues (this is something you do in Germany). The only thing left to do is to drive the car over on the weekend to pick up my books. My boss was there this morning, though, and we talked over my data a little . . . although the functional data I collected for my project reaches statistical significance, it doesn't look "pretty" and the magnitude of the effect is small. He suggested having one of the technicians recollect the data in a few days. When I told him it took me over a month to do the set of experiments, and that the technique is non-trivial, he was very surprised. Then he asked whether it would be possible to come in and redo the experiments after the baby is born (!!!??!!?). Um, NO.

Anyway, at my appointment with the midwife this week I got the list of things I am supposed to prepare at home and bring for the birth. I thought I would share it, since I think it's kind of interesting:

At home:
-mattress protector (in case of amniotic fluid leak) . . . didn't do this last time, and was probably lucky that I didn't ruin our mattress since this was how labor started with Lilia
-condom filled with Schnapps and put in the freezer (for perineal cooling) . . . Thorsten is grossed out by this, but believe me, after last time, I see the point
-cold pack in the freezer (to prevent uterine bleeding)
-warming lamp for the changing table . . . really necessary in mid-July? Well, we have one from Lilia and she really did love to lie under it when she was a colicky infant

To bring to the birth center
-Motherpass (German maternity record)
-perineal massage oil
-3 or 4 bath towels
-4 to 6 receiving blankets
-warm clothing for the baby . . . again, for mid-July? Well, you never know. Guess I will pack for both cool and hot weather
-Grape sugar (powdered, without vitamins) . . . don't know exactly what this is for. Maybe if I have low blood sugar during or after the birth?
-Drinks (mineral water or tee)
-Food . . . hmm, this time I will pass on the Mortadella and rye bread
-bath oil (lavendar oil)
-Vlieswindeln(20) . . . untranslatable, but basically giant maxi pads
-large underwear
-comfortable clothes for the father
-thick socks . . . see above comments about mid-July

. . . I guess I will be packing a big suitcase this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guess on the grape sugar is that its for if you need a boost of energy. Or if the baby's heartbeat goes down to try to wake the baby up w/the sugar.

Enjoy your last few weeks w/out a newborn.