Thursday, July 30, 2009

Partially Back Up . . .

So, after two evenings of hard work by Thorsten our computer is partially fixed. Apparently the recurrent "Blue Screen of Death" had something to do with the wireless modem; what exactly is still a mystery. At the moment we are going online over the LAN cable.

Since we are really pretty overwhelmed with house details and packing at the moment, I will only make a brief update:

* We have a new niece! Luisa was born at 8:55 this morning to Thorsten's brother André and his wife Kirsten. Luisa is 50 cm long and weighs 3200 something grams. We are overjoyed to hear of her arrival and that all is well with both Kirsten and Luisa.

* Johanna has suddenly taken a major interest in doing her business on the toilet. The wonderful people at daycare are going along with her attempts even though on most days that means changing her clothes multiple times. From the laundry point of view, I would have been OK just at the moment with not having several pairs of urine-soaked clothes to wash every afternoon, but as they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

*Just finished a two-day statistics seminar for clinical studies. Lilia asked where I was headed this morning, and I said I was going to a meeting to learn some things about numbers. "But Mama!" she protested, in the aggrieved tones of someone whose leg is being pulled. "You already know your numbers."

*House: lots of (relatively minor) annoyances at the moment, including a piece of not-matching work surface in the kitchen and some other things that just aren't quite right. Most of this stuff should be (relatively) easily fixed but it means a lot of telephoning around and meetings at the building site, and more telephoning around and more meetings . . .

OK, I need to go clean up the kitchen and do some more laundry and pack some boxes . . .

3 comments:

Grandpa John & GramMary said...

YIPPEE, you are back on line! I checked your blog site on the outside chance you awere writing again, and hooray, you are! I love Lilia's comment! And, welcome Louisa! Do you have Andre & Kristen's address? I think Louisa needs something from the US (made in China, no doubt). Keep writing! And keep your chin up about those house details. There is light at the end of the tunnel & the tunnel is coming up quickly! Love you all! Mom

The Burris Family said...

Glad to see you posting again! Hope the packing is going well and that you survive the move!

Lars and Cynthia said...

Glad to know your computer is up and running again. We can't thank you enough again for being such wonderful hosts to us! Hope the house is still on track and the move goes relatively smoothly. Wish we could help you move.