We were at the pediatrician today (mostly a "get to know you" visit) and there was a poster up on the wall about safe sleeping for babies. Some of it was obvious: baby should sleep on her back, don't smoke, breastfeed. But some of it seemed to me to be impractical: nothing nearby baby's head, no "nest" or crib bumpers, no blankets (use a sleep sack), baby in its own bed away from adults. The picture was of a baby lying alone in the middle of a crib, at least a foot away from the nearest object.
I thought to myself, what baby will actually go to sleep like that? I mean, would you? I couldn't fall asleep either if I felt like I were out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around me. Neither of my kids ever has. Both of my babies have wanted to have their heads butted up against something (preferably me) when going to sleep. I think it makes sense biologically too--what baby in prehistoric days was going to stand to be separated from its parents and laid out in the open at this most vulnerable moment?
I would also be really curious to know whether the kids of people who came up with these recommendations actually sleep like that . . . and if they do, how many times per night their parents have to get up to keep them happy.
2 comments:
I have used bumpers with both my girls and they also had/have various stuffed animals in their cribs. Sarah ALWAYS fell asleep with her bed in the corner on the bumper, until a few months ago when we put a pillow in her crib. We did use the sleep sack until both girls hit about 6 months, then I put crocheted blankets over them. That way there were holes in the blanket so they could not suffocate!
Once you are here & all bunking in the same room, you will definitely NOT feel all alone in the middle of nowhere! Just a little while yet to wait. The latest weather news is that it seems as though we are up for a big snowstorm on Saturday, but we will still be sure to make it to the airport on Sunday. Love, Mom
Post a Comment