Sunday, November 11, 2007

Moving Madness

We are continuing to try to get organized for our upcoming move, and are still trying to get the basement storage room cleaned out.

Some boxes we opened today lead me to wonder whether we are doomed to have a certain amount of, um, clutter (sounds better than crap) following us around through life. I found: a giant purple Vikings candle (a one-time gag gift to Thorsten), a burned candle holder, a weird mirror, some Star Wars light-saber pens (came out of a cereal box at one time, I would guess . . . ), a plastic worm with wheels (???) and countless other "treasures." Thorsten is threatening to decorate the office with them (other than the Vikings candle, of course) once we are in Biberach . . . he's joking, I hope . . . another problem is that if Lilia sees these kinds of things, she wants to keep them. All of them. We can start tossing tonight after she is in bed. Why did we have them in the first place? Unanswerable. Probably because we ran out of time to throw stuff out the last time we moved . . .

The winner today, I think, was the rose that Thorsten wore in his buttonhole during our wedding. It was a nice idea to keep it, but it was mud-brown and steamrolled-flat, and still had that wicked corsage pin sticking out of it as though it were an impaled vampire . . . I had a sudden vision of that thing hanging on the wall in our future office and completely lost it. By the time I had recovered from my hopeless giggling, Thorsten had thrown it out. So be it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a shame to throw out a perfectly good Vikings candle! Actually, I am very impressed that at this point in the busy schedule, you have taken time to sort through various old items. Good luck! Love, Mom