Tuesday, September 11, 2007

SUV Stroller


We are the owners of a gigantic stroller.

I am not really pround of this. Sometimes the ridiculousness of transporting a tiny baby in such an enormous contraption strikes me particularly strongly, such as when I am trying to wrestle the stroller through the two fire doors and down the three stairs to the garage. However, since I hardly drive, it is also my ersatz automobile, or perhaps rather an enormous purse on wheels. I haul groceries in that thing. I tuck baguettes in next to Johanna; she comes home surrounded by grapes and mushrooms and bananas and anything I think will be crushed in a shopping bag in the rack underneath. The foot end holds my keys and cell phone and a package of tissues and a nest of receipts, some with phone numbers scrawled on the back, and two hats for Johanna (one for sunny days and one for cool days) and her jacket and a baby carrier and usually a spare pacifier . . . underneath are Lilia's sandbox toys and a bag with her rain kit, a Nerf ball, a rain cover for the stroller, my umbrella and the Kiddy Board, which clips on the rear axle and which I can use to transport Lilia as well. We look like a parade, especially when we've been to the store.

On the other hand . . . well, from an environmental standpoint, we could do worse. Even if it's an SUV stroller, it's not an actual SUV. Plus I think it's got to do something for my fitness--and hopefully my postpartum waistline--pushing that thing around for at least an hour a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill,

After carefully reviewing your stoller picture, we have come to the conclusion that you actually own the Passat of strollers.

We put up a link so you can take a look at the "real" SUV of strollers.

http://geocities.com/gbarsch934/blog.html