We reformatted the hard drive on our laptop (something was seriously wrong there . . . . we couldn't install any new software and most other things didn't run correctly anymore). Anyway, the good news is that the computer is running really well. The bad news is that at the moment we have no home internet access. Poor Thorsten has been working on the problem most of his waking hours at home for the last couple of days but so far no success. We don't even really know if it's a hardware problem or a software problem. We will probably have to call in the heavy guns pretty soon (ie either call T-online's expensive help hotline or thier service people.)
Going cold turkey from the internet is HARD, especially for a currently stay-at-home mother. Still, you think I could manage more than a day. Well, I can't, which is why I'm here at the city library at a pay terminal (1 Euro for 1 hour access . . . not too bad . . . fortunately Johanna is asleep at the moment). Literally 20 times yesterday I headed for the computer to do something and then realized I couldn't. New fall clothes for Lilia? Print out driving directions to the US consulate? Be sure I have everything together to register Johanna as a US citizen? Find out where the Cabana restaurant is (we've been invited there for Sunday brunch, per email, of course . . . Thorsten can still log onto our home email account when he's at work)? Find a list of Kindergärten in Biberach? Post a couple of new pictures for Mom and Dad? Check the news in the US? And so on. Whew. Of course all of these things can be accomplished in other ways as well, but not nearly as quickly or comfortably. I guess I didn't realize to what extent it has become second nature to me to reach for the computer when I want to find something out or communicate with someone.
On the up side, well, you would think I would have more time to get other tasks accomplished. But somehow that's not the case either. I don't think I spend hours a day online--most of the time it is a few minutes here and there between other things I am trying to get done. ("Other things" mostly means trying to keep a toy-free path through the living room, get the breakfast dishes off the table before dinner, and keep the dirty laundry pile from growing into a dirty laundry mountain.) You see why I need the internet??
In any case, posts will probably be few and far between until our access is back. Sigh.
2 comments:
I know your pain... For a while Brian wanted us to just use dial up connection at home, he thought we'd save money. I tried it for a while, but realized when you only have a few seconds to check your messages etc, you needed a faster connection. I was spending all my time waiting for it to connect, or waiting for it to load. I don't think I'd survive without an internet connection anymore.
Bummer! But thank goodness for libraries. Hope you get online in time for us to "see" Lilia & the baby again soon.....not too self-serving of me--ha! It is amaizng though how much even we "oldies" depend on it -- for my daily fix of blog sites, a look at Pilaus & Bibarach marktplatz....
Post a Comment