Monday, September 8, 2008

As Requested . . .

. . . an update on the tomatoes (here's looking at you, Andrew)!

The Jack-and-the-Tomatostalk tomato grew one shoot all the way up to the roof of the pergola, and another shoot is arching down almost to the ground. This has been my most productive tomato plant and also best-tasting tomato. I'm going to try to save some seeds to see if I can get the same kind of results next year.

The Balkonstar tomatoes continue to produce but they just don't taste good. Next year I'll try another variety.

The other three wild tomato plants have already met their fate . . . two of them got the blight (although I had read that wild tomatoes aren't supposed to be susceptible, apparently this isn't universally true) and went out with the trash. The third was productive but the tomatoes didn't taste good anymore . . . that one is enriching my compost heap.

Notes for next year . . . put the pepper plants in bigger pots and start all the seeds 2-4 weeks later! Don't plant quite so many plants (the yard got a lot shadier than I expected)! Dig up a small patch next to the composter for a zucchini or squash . . . lots of sun there!

1 comment:

Drew said...

I'm glad some of your tomatoes were tasty! At the Farmer's Market yesterday there were tooooons of different kinds of tomatoes. As expected, I bought none.