So, Johanna's now over six months old, the "official" recommended age when one can start feeding solid foods.
But she's not ready. She's not interested. Over the last couple of weeks I've given her an occasional taste of something--mashed bananas, pureed carrots and the like--and her reaction is always the same. She rears back her head, eyes closed, and then cautiously spits out the mouthful. Or she gags. This is definitely not coming across as "Food is Fun!"
I guess since food in the first year is more an experiential thing than nourishment, it doesn't matter. And honestly, I'm not as gung-ho about it as I was with Lilia (who, by the way, loved it and ate everything that went by her). It's a lot of work and mess and if Johanna's not at least wanting to give it a try, what's the point in pushing it right now? My only selfish little thought is that it would be nice if she could get enough of someting other than breastmilk in her tummy so that Thorsten and I could get a babysitter and go out for dinner once in awhile . . .
. . . but it's only a matter of time, after all, and that, at least, is something we have enough of at the moment. Eating will come, whether we're ready for it or not. :)
3 comments:
Hi Jill,
ganz liebe Grüße aus Heidelberg!!
Marlene ist auch mit fast 9 Monaten noch nicht vom Essen begeistert ;-)
Sie lutscht höchstens mal an einer Reiswaffel. Alles breiige ist IHHBÄÄH! Bin aber auch noch entspannt :-)
CU
Sylvia
Maybe she will one day be like one of her grandparetns who seems to like everything except lima beans, squid, and tripe. On the other hand, the other grandparent would NEVER have her eat anything orange such as pureed carrots!
First foods... Jorgen didn't any solids until 15 months! That was not without us trying.
Katrina's first food was split pea soup.... I know they tell you to only introduce one food at a time etc, but my experience with trying to get Jorgen to eat told me not to waste my time on making her something that no one else would eat. She won't eat it anyways. But she suprised me, and didn't do to bad.
Another good food that Katrina liked was avocado's. I also found the mashed avocado's not bad on chips or sandwiches.
Post a Comment