Thursday, April 11, 2013

Update

Happily, Mom and Dad arrived yesterday!  We are all excited--especially Lilia and Johanna.  Johanna stayed home from Kindergarten today to bake chocolate chip cookies with GramMary (I would estimate that 2/3 of the batch has already been dispatched) and Lilia came right home after school and is now out walking the dog with Grandpa John.  Thorsten and I both got to take naps today.  :)

The kids are getting used to having a baby brother, although I realized there are some things that I maybe haven't conveyed successfully:
Lilia:  "So, Mama, when are you going back to work?"
Me: "Well, probably in about a year."
Lilia:  "A YEAR?!?!  You're going to take off a WHOLE YEAR??  What are you going to do that whole time, just sit around?"
Me (a bit stung):  "What, do you think I'm just sitting around while I'm taking care of a new baby?"
Lilia:  "Yes!"

Hmmm.

Overall things are going well.  The midwife weighed Julian 2 days ago (at 10 days old) and he has regained his birthweight plus a little bit (more than a half-pound gain from his weight at 3 days old) so clearly, despite Lilia's opinion, I HAVE been doing something beneficial for the baby when I am "sitting around" nursing him.  The nights are going about as well as can be expected, and he is producing lots of dirty diapers.  Everybody dotes on him--even Lilia.  :)  One interesting note (well, interesting to me anyway):  Julian is blood group O positive.  Johanna is A positive, and Lilia is A negative.  I am A negative, and Thorsten is A positive.   Therefore, both Thorsten and I must both have genotype AO, and although Thorsten is Rh positive, his second Rh allele must be negative.  (Sounds like a high school biology problem, doesn't it?)

Here a couple of other pictures:
Here are the clothes Johanna picked out to wear the other day.  Interesting.

Baby feet.  Awww.

Lilia holding Julian

Johanna got a haircut today--the haircutter was nice enough to make her a braided crown as well.

The kids

The boys
And now Julian has woken up and is hungry, so I have to go "sit around" with him again . . .


2 comments:

The Burris Family said...

Steve and I have the whole A-, A+ problem too. I had to have the rhogam shots with all the kiddos. Sadly, I have no recollection what their blood type is. I guess I should figure that out.

Have the girls asked a lot of questions about his boy parts? That was the biggest discussion in our house. We had to have an anatomy talk so they knew the correct terminology. They also came along to several of Tate's urology appointments and screamed EEEWWW more then I would like to hear!

Holbie said...

Jill, I am 0 negative. So I think that proves you have some O in your family. Enjoy the extra help!