Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Container Garden

I'm itching to get started on the gardens at our new house, but it's not time yet. To make myself feel better, I thought I'd put up some pictures of how our container garden is progressing this year.


Here's the "big picture"--peppers, a pot of flowers, 10 cherry tomato plants, some nasturtiums, Lilia's carrots and some sunflowers.


Last summer I couldn't get the nasturtiums to grow--they were plagued by Blattläuse (leaf lice). This year we have fantastic plants, with leaves as big as saucers.


More nasturtiums and the single marigold that survived the onslaught of the snails.

First calendula blossom of the year

What I didn't put in the pictures is another tomato plant that Lilia started in her room and that already has a crop of hard green tomatoes, the peas (they're done already, but we probably had 30 to 40 pea pods, not that any of them made it to the table, since the girls eat them on sight), and our strawberries, which also look to be making a better crop than last year. Hope the tomatoes start getting ripe soon . . .

2 comments:

Holbie said...

Looks good Jill. I'm growing stuff on my deck this summer too and Jonas has really gotten into it.

Are you growing carrots in a container? How big of a container do you need for those?

Jill said...

I don't know--I've never tried container carrots before! We're growing them in a window box. The carrot type is called "Giant Red." Probably not the best choice for a container, but it's what we had on hand . . .